The Secret Place, Revealed – Bible Study & Chapter Discussion Questions
I have included these Bible Study Questions for those of you who may be interested in sharing the message of this book with others. And really, the message of this book is all about THE Message in God’s Book, the Bible. The message of the Secret Place transformed my life forever. I pray it has done the same for you. Now you have the opportunity to share YOUR experiences with those you know. Just think if all over the great world we live in people would dive into an intimate and personal REALationship with God. The results would be overwhelming for sure!
Here are a few tips that will help you with your Bible study group, cell group, Sunday school class, or whatever kind of gathering you lead or participate in.
1. Pray before each meeting.
2. Try to engage everyone in the group as you work your way through the study questions.
3. Do your best to keep one or two people from doing all the talking. You do this by saying, “Let’s hear from someone who hasn’t shared yet.”
4. Every answer someone gives is important and it took courage for him or her to speak up in a group setting. So, make them great regardless of their answers or comments.
5. Don’t be afraid of a little bit of silence. Let them think.
6. Try to stay focused on your topic. If it gets “off course,” you can bring it back by saying, “Let’s get back to our question we are trying to discuss right now which reads, _____________.”
7. Encourage personal experiences that are relevant to the topic.
8. Summarize what you have discussed during your time together so it stays in their heart.
9. Encourage the group to continue their commitment to get alone with God so they will enjoy a REALationship with Him.
10. Pray over what took place during your time together and pray for God’s blessings on the peoples’ lives.
Enjoy your time together and I always welcome any good reports from you or your group. E-mail me at: Kevin@ PastorKevin.com. For more information or for ideas for a LIVE appearance via the Internet or in person, feel free to contact me at: 281-235-8845 or on Skype with my username: TheNetRev. God Bless You!
RUN OVER BY A 13,000 LB TRACTOR; LENGTHWISE!
1. How does a life-threatening accident, diagnosis, or event change a person’s life? If they are saved? If they are not saved?
2. When the tractor ran over Kevin, do you think it was God’s will for his life?
3. How did the Secret Place affect Kevin in this accident?
4. Is it possible that Kevin’s intimate relationship with God played a major part in his surviving this tragedy? Was it just a coincidence?
5. Would you agree that Kevin experienced a legitimate miracle?
6. Have you ever experienced a miracle?
WHAT IS THIS SECRET PLACE?
1. Before reading this book had you ever heard of the Secret Place?
2. What is the meaning of the term “Secret Place?”
3. Is this Secret Place something for every Christian or just certain ones?
4. How can the Secret Place benefit me?
5. Do you have quality alone time with God in the Secret Place? How often?
6. Why do you think it’s called a secret?
IT ALL STARTED WITH A CROSSWALK
1. What is a crosswalk?
2. What do you think carrying a twelve-foot cross would do to you spiritually? Physically? Emotionally?
3. What was the life-changing event that happened during the journey? How did it change Kevin’s life and ministry?
4. Can God take our mess-ups and turn them into victories?
5. What would you do if you saw someone carrying a cross down the road?
6. What other life-changing things can you learn from this unique journey?
WHAT’S A “HETTIE?”
1. What is a Hettie?
2. How did Hettie discover the Secret Place? Can you identify with Hettie’s reason?
3. What is the one “key” that stands out the most from this encounter with Hettie?
4. Is your life an example someone can follow when it comes to having an intimate
relationship with God?
5. How does the revelation of “observation” help you with your relationship with God? With others?
6. What do you want to be doing when you are eighty years old?
THE TWO MOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONS YOU WILL EVER ASK
1. What are the two most important questions?
2. Who should ask these questions?
3. How long does it take you to find the answers to these questions?
4. Why is it so important that you ask these questions in the same order that Paul (Saul) did?
5. How do these questions relate to the Secret Place?
6. Can you think of any other examples in the Bible where this “who before what” principle is used? What about in your own life?
EVERY CHRISTIAN’S GREATEST CALLING
1. What exactly IS a calling?
2. Is a calling the same as a purpose?
3. Does every Christian have a calling and if so, how can you find your calling?
4. Do you know your calling? If so, what is it? If not, what will you do to find out?
5. What can the Secret Place do to help you find your calling?
6. How will you know you actually heard from God and not the devil or yourself?
KNOWING GOD VS. KNOWING “ABOUT” GOD
1. What is the difference between knowing about God and knowing God?
2. If God wants us to know him, why isn’t it easier?
3. How in the world can a human being actually know such a Holy God?
4. What does the Bible say about Jesus knowing His Father, God?
5. How does spending time alone with God in the Secret Place help you to know God?
6. Where are you with these two things? Do you know God or just know “about” Him? Is there more to know?
PSALMS 91—HOW ONE CHAPTER CHANGED MY LIFE
1. How can “dwelling in the Secret Place” as mentioned in the first verse, produce all those other good things in the rest of the chapter?
2. Psalms 91 is in the Old Testament; so, does it still apply to us in today’s world?
3. What does it mean to “dwell” in the Secret Place?
4. Does Psalms 91 only help after-the-fact, for comfort
and rescue, or will it actually prevent harm?
5. How does a person apply the promises in Psalms 91 to
6. With so many benefits in Psalms 91 how do you stay focused on the “dwelling in the Secret Place” part?
DOES GOD REALLY WAKE UP AT 5:00 AM?
1. How can talking to God in the morning be any different than talking to Him at night?
2. What does the Bible have to say about getting up early to spend time with God?
3. Have you ever spent quality alone time with God early in the morning? Did it seem to help you in any way?
4. Are you convinced that having this time with God in the early morning is something you need to try? If so, what is your plan to do it?
5. What is God’s outlook as to HIS reason for wanting to meet with us early in the morning?
6. Would you say this is a matter of “opinion” or is it an actual pattern in the Bible we would benefit from if we follow it?
WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO IN THE SECRET PLACE?
1. What is the correct amount of time a person should spend in the Secret Place? How often?
2. How does a person get in the routine of spending time in the Secret Place without that time becoming routine?
3. What is the ultimate goal of spending time in the Secret Place?
4. How is spending time in the Secret Place different from reading the Bible and talking to God throughout your daily activities?
5. What can we see in the life of Jesus that reflects some sort of benefit from His time in the Secret Place?
6. What does a person DO while in the Secret Place?
THE LOST ART OF BEING STILL
1. What does it mean to be still? What’s the point?
2. What does Psalms 46:10 mean to you?
3. Why is being still seen as a lost art?
4. How can someone afford the luxury of being still when there’s so much to do and so little time to do it?
5. What is the importance of being still in conjunction with the Secret Place?
6. Is anything really happening when a person is “being still” in the Secret Place?
CROSSING THE THRESHOLD
1. What does crossing the threshold mean?
2. What does crossing the threshold represent in a person’s walk with God?
3. What, if anything, do you have to leave behind in order to cross the threshold?
4. What awaits a person on the other side of the threshold?
5. What is meant by the term, a “weighty bride?”
6. How will you know when you have crossed the threshold?
BEHIND CLOSED DOORS
1. What do you think the meaning of the term, “Behind Closed Doors” signifies?
2. Discuss the different steps for our prayer time as mentioned in Matthew 6:6.
3. Specifically, what does “shutting the door,” mean? What does it accomplish?
4. What goes on behind these closed doors?
5. Discuss what Jesus meant in Matthew 6:6 when He said, “…your Father who sees in secret shall reward you openly.”
6. How can spending time alone with God produce spiritual disciples?
JUMP-START YOUR JOURNAL
1. What is the difference between a diary and a journal?
2. What does writing in a journal do for your life?
3. How does writing in a journal keep you more focused on what God is speaking to you?
4. Why should I journal when I don’t feel like God ever speaks to me? Will journaling change this?
5. What are some practical pointers of journaling that will help you to be successful at journaling?
6. What benefits will a person eventually see after many journal entries?
1. What is the first crucial step in diving into the Secret Place?
2. How will you plan to make time for the Secret Place when you don’t seem to have enough time as it is?
3. What is YOUR plan for time alone with God?
4. If you miss some of your times with God does this mean you have failed?
5. Name some specific ways you have benefitted from this book.
6. What is the number one thing that would try to distract you from diving into or staying in the Secret Place? What will you do to keep this from happening?