In Place by God
Romans 13:1-7 GW(God’s Word)
- Every person should obey the government in power. No government would exist if it hadn’t been established by God. The governments which exist have been put in place by God.
- Therefore, whoever resists the government opposes what God has established. Those who resist will bring punishment on themselves.
- People who do what is right don’t have to be afraid of the government. But people who do what is wrong should be afraid of it. Would you like to live without being afraid of the government? Do what is right, and it will praise you.
- The government is God’s servant working for your good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid. The government has the right to carry out the death sentence. It is God’s servant, an avenger to execute God’s anger on anyone who does what is wrong.
- Therefore, it is necessary for you to obey, not only because you’re afraid of God’s anger but also because of your own conscience.
- That is also why you pay your taxes. People in the government are God’s servants while they do the work he has given them.
- Pay everyone whatever you owe them. If you owe taxes, pay them. If you owe tolls, pay them. If you owe someone respect, respect that person. If you owe someone honor, honor that person.
To be continued…